As a parent, information is vital in keeping your baby safe and healthy. One mother from Michigan has taken to social media to let everyone know how her lack of knowledge put her child at risk. This medical condition isn’t common, so she wants every parent to watch out for this!
Heather Fricke’s son Jacob was only 10 weeks old when she put him in a fresh diaper and laid him down for a nap. The little baby never cried or fussed about anything, unless it was urgent, so when he woke up from his nap, Heather checked his diaper just to be sure he was fresh and clean.
That’s when she noticed his toes, and she was shocked when they had turned a very dangerous shade of blue! Upon closer inspection, Jacob’s dad, Tommy, was dumbfounded to see something very thin wrapped around his toes.
The couple was attending a party that evening, so Heather thought it would be a good time to change him and freshen him up. If they hadn’t done it on time, who knows what could have happened?
“I handed him to his dad Tommy to put socks on him when Tommy realized his two toes were blue and tied together with a strand of hair!!! I immediately took off what I could and had to take him to the ER where we spent an hour and a team of 5 doctors trying to get the rest of MY HAIR off his two toes…”
Doctors told Heather that if she hadn’t removed the hairs that had been coiled around his toes in time, they would have needed to amputate them.
Heather is asking other parents to be really thorough when they check their baby. Hair Tourniquet Syndrome happens more often than people assume, so it’s never a bad idea to be really careful.
“CHECK YOUR BABYS TOES AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN!!! And if you have a baby boy even his PENIS. Yes I said penis… they are such tiny baby’s and our hair can be such a hazard but it’s something that we never really pay attention to.. so plz share this with all your mom friends with little babies!!!!”
To strengthen her point, she even put up a picture of her baby’s toes on Facebook.
You can never be too careful with children, and Jacob’s case is stark proof. Just be sure to check your baby thoroughly every day.
SHARE this story with everyone you know!